Saturday, March 17, 2012

Home improvement

The other day I was at home, and I needed to do a home repair. The ventilation grille was broken, and I had to fix it. I like to do home improvement, but this time was very difficult. The vent was in the ceiling, and I didn´t have a ladder, so I needed to go up the kitchen furniture. Then when I disassemble the piece, a lot of dust and dirt fell down over me, and I started to sneeze.

I tried to fix it with the tools that I had at home, almost anything. The problem was that the screws had done biggest holes than the old ones, so the grille was free and could fall on somebody. The first thing I tried was put a bigger screws in, but it was impossible, the screws didn´t enter in the grille holes and it didn´t work. I tried again covering the holes with a mass for holes that I had at home, but it wasn´t enough strong to keep the screws in their place; however, it follows falling down.

Finally I needed to go the hardware store to buy more things to fix it. I bought a malleable metal piece and a different screw with nut. Then I transformed the metal piece forming an “S”, and put it in one side of the grille, so to the other side I had to put the screw with his nut and it worked.

You know, when you go in the kitchen now, it looks like the grille can fall down any time, but it works perfectly, who knows how long it will remain.

Take care.

Fer2.

No comments:

Post a Comment